You’re on your way to design website for your business, but you’re stuck in picking the most adequate color combination which at first seemed like an easy task. Well, it is difficult to choose colors that define your product and brand. You may consider it an insignificant step, but is of utmost importance in designing decisions as you want your product and brand to be recognizable in market.
With the evolution of web development solution of this problem comes in the form of cheat sheets. They can be used to choose the suitable color combination which reflects what you want to bring in the market.
How can be cheat sheet helpful?
Why use a cheat sheet to choose colors for your website? Is choosing a color in web development a difficult task? Well, it might sound like a childish job to do, but making mistake by choosing impropriate colors for website will only lead to harm your business and products. In business strategies and web development it carries an undeniable utmost significance. Different colors carry different meanings with respect to genders, traditions, surroundings and history. While designing website, user who wants to choose correct and most suitable colors often gets confuse in choosing the right colors. Cheat sheets are solution for such problem, which help choosing the most adequate colors regarding to the target visitors of the website.
Do not forget what you want to represent!
Focus on choosing colors that are capable to reflect what you are offering and engage your target visitors. Keep in mind that what kind of age groups are you targeting? What kind of emotional response do you want to trigger? Are your products limited to a specific gender? What kind of feeling do you want to engage?
For example if you are designing a website related to plants and wild life, obviously you want to choose a color which is related to nature, balance and harmony. Green will definitely be the best color to choose for such website. Researches have shown that green color is liked equally by both genders.
Improve your website using colors
Remember that different colors have different meanings and associations regarding to philosophy, traditions and surroundings of people. For example take a look on the short cheat sheet that is according to western culture.
- Pink It represents femininity, it is commonly used to sell and market the products of women and girls.
- Blue It is the most interactive color, liked by all genders equally. It expresses trust and constancy. It is often used by social media websites like Facebook, twitter etc., real estates, banks and health facilities.
- Green It is familiar for its calming and kind effect on eyes. It represents nature, harmony and wealth.
- Yellow This color is associated with happiness, glee, joyfulness, positivity and warm feelings.
- Red Very eye catching color, it is associated with passion and love. Also it represents danger, energy, fire and power. It is best for food, sport, gym and car sites.
- Orange Stands for glee, cheerfulness and creativity. It grabs attention quickly so it is mostly used on call to action buttons.
- Black This color symbolizes sophistication, wealth and prosperity. It is recommended for photography sites or those sites where pictures are more used, it gives pictures an outstanding effect.
- Purple Stands for strength, motivation and luxury. As this color is uncommon to find in nature it is related with magic, fantasy and mystery. It is suitable for educational, fashion and technology web sites.
- White It is interface friendly color that symbolizes purity, cleanliness and safety, hence it is commonly used by medical and health websites.
Know that, colors that you are going to use, influence on the decision of the visitors of your website. If you are targeting a specific group of people or their specific kind of emotions choose your colors wisely according to that. Do not pick random colors, you will only end up spoiling your product.
How to choose color for your website?
After understanding the concept of colors, next comes the stage of using colors on your website. Theoretically speaking, you should not choose more than three colors for your website, i.e. background color, accent color and dominant color.
1 – How to use dominant color?
Always use dominant colors in that part of the website where you want your visitor’s attention. Use eye catching colors, do not use them too much, as it will only create disastrous image of website. Only use such colors for highlighting vital part of the information.
2 – Background color
Your background color choice reflects the story you want to tell. It delineates the purpose of your website. You should consider picking lighter colors for background if your dominant colors are of darker shades and vice versa, in this way you’ll end up with having the most adequate color combination for your website.
3 – Accent color
You’ll be needing accent colors to give prominence to specific features of your website, such as call to action buttons, sales banner and badges. They do not carry as much significance as dominant colors do. Keep in mind that using of too much accent colors will only create chaos for visitors, to keep your website safe from such confusion use accent colors at suitable places to help visitor navigate easily through entire website.
Learn More About 6 Ways To Design Your Brochure here